We all need magnesium to perform various tasks and function on daily basis.
By Mahmood Hussain, Friday 28thAugust 2020, the article is written for www.babyfirst.com.pk BABY FIRST PAKISTAN and on Facebook.babyfirstPakistan and other social media such as LinkedIn, Twitter and so on. Writer Mahmood Hussain is from Karachi Pakistan currently in Dubai.
- Magnesium regulates contraction of muscle. The purpose it serve such as the nerves needs to send and receive the messages.
- It plays vital role in maintaining the steady heart beat on regular basis.
- It is essentially needed to maintain the immune system strong.
People obtain the needed magnesium by eating healthy foods such as leafy green vegetables, beans, whole wheat grains, fish and nuts.
Professor of medicine Dr. Bruce Bistrian at Harvard Medical School with having special interest in clinical nutrition. Professor states magnesium deficiency is rarely observe in the healthy individual and eating balance diet. Nature has provided kidneys with extra ordinary ability to reduce the loss of magnesium in urine. So it achieve and maintain magnesium balance despite consuming wide variety of foods
Despite eating good diet, some of the individuals are at greater risk of magnesium deficiency, these are people who are having digestive disorders such as celiac disease and chronic diarrhea.
Brief description of Celica disease and this is also some time refer as celiac sprue or gluten sensitive enteropathy. It is an immune reaction because of eating gluten. This protein are found in wheat, barley and rye. Reference. Mayo Clinic to read more detail
Few of the medicines can lower the magnesium level which are refer as “water pills” and antibiotic.
Diuretic are refer as water pills medicine, which is use to increase the expulsion of water and salt from body via urination. Prescription of diuretic is use for the treatment of high blood pressure
Below are the listed benefits of Magnesium.
- To treat insomnia.
- Protect heart especially for the athlete, as we know magnesium is important for muscular activities.
- It is good support for bone health
- Fight and contest with Asthma.
- It reduces high blood pressure level.
- Improves digestion and manage constipation symptoms.
- It is good it protects against diabetes.
We mostly know that essential mineral such as magnesium are needed for bones and muscles. This is also vital for the heart, brain and nervous system. This is needed to produce antioxidants which protect against diseases. Secondly it is use for the proper functioning of hundreds of enzymes that regulate and manage normal function of the body.
To have and maintain needed level of magnesium within the body, we can get the magnesium from our daily food such as high rich fiber diet such as green leafy vegetables, beans and whole wheat. Recommended daily intake for Adult dietary allowance is 420 milligram gram.
This recommended magnesium level can be obtain from food rich in it: Such as
- Dry roasted Almond one ounce per day, which give 80 milligram.
- Cooked Spinach half cup which gives 78 milligram.
- A spoonful of bran flakes which give 64 milligram.
- One Baked potato with skin it gives 48 milligram.
- Half cup of kidney beans.
Below table are Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) divided in Children, Female from 14 years and onward which include pregnancy and male 14 years and above.
|Category||Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA)|
|1-3 years||80 mg/day|
|4-8 years||130 mg/day|
|9-13 years||240 mg/day|
|14-18 years||360 mg/day|
|19-30 years||310 mg/day|
|31 years and over||320 mg/day|
|Pregnant||Under 19 years: 400 mg/day|
19 to 30 years: 350 mg/day
31 years and up: 360 mg/day
|Breastfeeding||Under 19 years: 360 mg/day|
19 to 30 years: 310 mg/day
31 years and up: 320 mg/day
|14-18 years||410 mg/day|
|19-30 years||400 mg/day|
|31 years and up||420 mg/day|
Article written by Mahmood Hussain for Baby First website, facebook, twitter, linkedin and other social and digital media