December 25, 2016 during the last week, most of the leading print dailies and electronic media of Pakistan have published or covered in regard to the Chikungunya outbreak in Karachi. This has and is mainly affecting in its District Malir.
By Mahmood Hussain, dated 25th December, 2016, the article is written for www.babyfirst.com.pk BABY FIRST PAKISTAN and on Facebook.babyfirstPakistan and other social media such as LinkedIn, Twitter and so on. Writer Mahmood Hussain is from Karachi Pakistan
If anyone wishes to refer and read in more detail, can refer to the following which I traced.
- Pakistan today 18 December, 2016,
- Geo TV health December 22, 2016
- The News 22 December 2016
- Daily Dawn 18 December 2016
- ARY News 19 December 2016
- Tribune.com 18 December 2016
- The Nation 20 December 2016
- Sindh News online 22 December 2016
- BeKarachi December 19, 2016
The virus for Chikungunya has continued to affect the inhabitants of Karachi especially in Malir district. The cases were reported from 16 December and its intensity is increasing day by day. If we look, another 100 people have been diagnosed with this disease on 24th December, 2016. Mainly affected are from Malir District of Karachi.
Chikungunia is also known to spread via female mosquitoes, but it is via a different virus than dengue. The disease can be eliminated by destroying this specific virus which is responsible for its spread in society by spraying effectively.
The causative mosquito which carries ‘Aedes aegypti’ virus. It is responsible for Chikungunya fever with pain in human beings.
It is advice by the medical experts to the public in general to take precautionary measures and protect themselves and family members from mosquito bite.
In case of any suffering or suspected case of chikungunya then the patient should ensure to drink maximum water.
Chikungunya is not life threatening but this need immediate attention, because of high grade fever and severe joint pain
Understand Chikungunya fever:
The chikungunya is a mosquito borne viral infection which spreads by mosquito bite. This was first reported and recorded in 1952 in Tanzania in shape of outbreak during..
It has peculiar symptom such as rapid onset of:
High grade fever which is associated with severe joint pain (mainly in arm and leg).
Other symptoms are also associated such as:
- Muscular Pain
- Signs of fatigue
- Red spot or patches on the skin appears.
- Vision Impairment or redness of eye.
In most of the cases chikungunya it associated with joint pain which is very cumbersome and devastating. This sever joint pain may last for few days or even few weeks very occasionally years.
Mostly sufferer recover fully with passage of time. But in few cases the pain in the joint remain for few months too. In very rare cases the eyes are affected. This has been observe, very rarely complication of heart / neurological and gastrointestinal disorders.
Patients do recover and becomes healthy in few weeks or months.
In few cases the symptoms of chikungunya are of mild in nature and it goes un-notice too aso.
If victim is of old age this may very rarely lead to death.
Dunya news television channel of Pakistan on 19 December 2016 reported outbreak of
Chikungunya. They term it as mysterious disease, which has overall affected
30,000 patients reported in Karachi during the last one month.
Dr. Sikandar Mandhoro Minister of Health for Sindh province visited the most affected hospital of Saudabad and he declared emergency in the district of Malir.
As per report of today i.e. 25th December, 2016 appear in Observer, in which it is stated Chikunguya is continuously affecting the population of Karachi especially in district of Malir. Within 24 hour another 100 people were diagnosed and they are suffering from it.
Recommended Treatment and its management:
Mostly it is conservative treatment and does not prescribe medicine. Till to date no vaccine for chikungunya is available to prevent it. Following are advice by physicians or hospitals.
- Advice for complete bed rest
- Increase water or liquid intake to prevent dehydration due to high grade fever
- Manage and treat the symptoms
- Take medicine as advice by a doctor to manage fever and pain mainly pain killers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen.
- Avoid taking aspirin and any anti-inflammatory drug such as commonly known as NSAIDS until or unless dengue is root out through a diagnostic lab test. Otherwise it will or may lead to excessive bleeding.
- If you’re suffering from any other disease or illness and taking drugs for it please inform your doctor or medical care giver. He or she can adjust your medicine to treat chikungunya presently.
- It advises to prevent patients from mosquito bite especially in the first week of illness.
- During the first week of chikungunya illness its virus can be found in patient blood and it passes from infected patient to mosquito via mosquito bite during this time period. So it can further increase the chances of spreading of chikungunya among the people who are in this vicinity especially.
Article written by Mahmood Hussain for Baby First website, facebook, linkedin, twitter and other social and digital media.